Executive Committee Member
Chuck Palmer's practice encompasses a wide variety of government related matters including representation of clients before state and federal legislative bodies and regulatory agencies; government permitting, licensing, franchising, contracting, zoning, and related development matters; general representation of telecommunications companies; general representation of transportation companies; general representation of electric utility companies; and general representation of clients in the golf industry.
- Counsel to Delta Air Lines in the expansion and lease of Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport and various state and federal regulatory matters.
- Counsel to Verizon Wireless in obtaining local government approvals for the construction of its cellular network in Georgia and in State of Georgia and Southeastern regulatory matters.
- Counsel to LexisNexis in various governmental matters.
- Counsel to Emory University on various zoning and land use matters in connection with several campus development projects including new hospital, clinic, academic buildings, and housing.
- Counsel to Travelex in successful appeal and award of contract for foreign currency exchange services at Atlanta Airport.
- Counsel to Georgia Department of Economic Development on Caterpillar and Baxter Healthcare new plant projects in 2011-2012.
- Counsel to Pension Review Panel and City of Atlanta in 2010-11 pension reform.
- Counsel to Governor Perdue in drafting TSPLOST legislation during 2010 Session of Georgia General Assembly.
- Counsel to Governor Deal on transportation matters in 2011-2012.
- Counsel to the Georgia Regional Transportation Authority in various governmental and contract matters.
- Counsel in the formation and operation of Community Improvement Districts in the Perimeter Mall area and in downtown Atlanta.
- Counsel to Georgia Power Company in various state and local government matters.
- Counsel to SBC Communications in merger with AT&T Corporation and to AT&T Inc. in merger with BellSouth.
- Counsel to the Georgia Department of Corrections in the privatization of three new prisons.
- Counsel to SBC Telecom, Level 3, US LEC, Teligent, and OnePoint in obtaining local exchange and interexchange authority from the Georgia Public Service Commission.
- Counsel to Sprint, Southern Telecom, and Metromedia Fiber Networks in obtaining municipal franchises for construction of fiber optic networks.
- Counsel to Georgia-Pacific Corporation with respect to corporate Political Action Committee matters.
- Counsel to Columbus-Muscogee County in defense of homestead tax appraisal system before the Georgia Supreme Court and United States Supreme Court.
- Counsel to the Gwinnett County Board of Elections in an independent candidate’s appeal to superior court and the Georgia Supreme Court.
- Counsel to Chateau Elan Winery & Resort and Road Atlanta in various expansion and operational matters.
- Counsel to Shafer Vineyards, Bronco Wine Company, and various other alcoholic beverage producers, importers, and distributors in Georgia Department of Revenue regulatory matters.
- Counsel to Brink’s Incorporated, FFE Transportation Services, Independent Freightway, Dry Storage Corporation, Ruan Transport Corporation, Fleet Transport, Missouri-Nebraska Express, Penske Truck Leasing, and Yellow Freight System with respect to Georgia Public Service Commission motor carrier matters.
Professional and Community Involvement
- State Capital Group - Chairman (2007-2008)
- Emory University Board of Visitors (2003-2006)
- UGA Agricultural Alumni Association
- Georgia State Golf Association – General Counsel (2007-2010); President-Elect (2011-2012); President (2013-2014)
- MARTA Board of Directors (2000-2003)
- Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan Atlanta - Bureau Attorney (1992-2014)
Rankings and Recognition
- Chuck Palmer has achieved Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Administrative/Regulatory Law, Government Relations, and Land Use & Zoning Law (2007-2014).
- Named “Administrative/Regulatory Law Atlanta Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers (2014).
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Government/Cities/Municipalities by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine (2006-2014).
- Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1995-present
- Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1986-1994
- Practice Group Leader, Governmental Law
- Emory University, J.D., 1986
Emory Law Journal, Editorial Board
Emory Merit Scholarship
- University of Georgia, B.S., cum laude, 1979
Phi Kappa Phi and Gamma Sigma Delta Honorary Societies
National Merit Scholarship
Georgia State Golf Association Scholarship
Georgia State Courts
Georgia Superior Courts
Georgia Court of Appeals
Supreme Court of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States