Troutman Sanders’ Business Litigation practice successfully defends and prosecutes high-stakes commercial disputes. As one of the largest practices in the firm, we have a substantial bench of trial lawyers with the experience and technological sophistication needed to manage complex, multi-district litigation. We effectively advocate for our clients’ business interests in federal and state, trial and appellate courts throughout the United States, as well as before administrative boards, government agencies and domestic and international alternative dispute tribunals. Our litigation results have earned the respect of both clients and peers. The 2014 edition of U.S. News – Best Lawyers ranks the firm as Tier 1 in the nation for Commercial Litigation, and corporate counsel rank us among the honor roll of most feared litigation firms in America, according to The BTI Litigation Outlook 2014.
While we have handled a broad array of business disputes, our core areas of litigation experience include:
In these key areas, we remain current on changes in the market in order to provide the most relevant and timely counsel available.
Beyond our litigation skill, we understand the business needs of our clients – an ability honed through our representation of businesses spanning the spectrum from entrepreneurial, mid-market companies to Fortune 500 industry leaders. Through valued client relationships, we have developed in-depth knowledge of various industries, including banking and finance, energy, insurance, industrial manufacturing, pharmaceutical, real estate, retail, technology, and apparel. Our industry knowledge, business sense, and commitment to client service enable us to litigate skillfully, and to advise clients during contract negotiations and performance in an effort to minimize the disruption and expense of unwanted litigation.
In addition, we understand the importance of implementing technology and customized legal strategies to provide the most cost-effective and efficient resolution of legal disputes. The firm has invested in state-of-the-art litigation technology, and our litigators work closely with the firm’s electronic discovery affiliate, eMerge, to efficiently handle the data and document-intensive aspects of discovery in our complex matters. Our staff of carefully trained eDiscovery lawyers and experienced legal technologists provide a wide range of litigation support services, including data collection and processing; document review and production; database design and maintenance; trial graphics and presentation technology; and overall project management. Our use of advanced technology and unique eDiscovery strategies has garnered national recognition and often results in significant cost savings to our litigation clients.
Recent Rankings and Recognition
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms: Commercial Litigation - National (2014)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms: Appellate Practice - National (2014)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms : Commercial Litigation – Atlanta (2014)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms : Commercial Litigation – Richmond (2014)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms : Commercial Litigation – Washington DC (2014)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms : Commercial Litigation – New York City (2014)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms : Commercial Litigation – Norfolk (2014)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms : Commercial Litigation – Raleigh (2014)
- Chambers USA : General Commercial Litigation (Georgia), 2013
- Chambers USA: General Commercial Litigation (Virginia), 2013
- Benchmark Litigation: Commercial Litigation (Virginia), 2014
- Benchmark Litigation : Commercial Litigation (Georgia), 2014