Aurora is a Business Litigation partner at Troutman Sanders, whose leadership roles have included several terms on the firm’s Executive Committee and service as New York office managing partner. An experienced trial lawyer, Aurora has had substantial experience in securities fraud class actions, breach of contract, qui tam, fraud, and privacy actions. She has counseled pharmaceutical companies, cyber security firms, private equity funds, start-ups, medical technology companies and various financial institutions on compliance, FCPA, privacy, and whistleblower issues. In the area of professional liability, she has defended professional liability claims against actuaries, attorneys, and consultants. Among her international clients, she has represented clients based in Israel, Korea, India, and China in disputes before U.S. courts or in arbitrations. Aurora serves as c0-chair of the International Corporate Compliance Committee of the New York State Bar Association, and has frequently lectured and written on cyber security issues, securities litigation against pharma and medical device companies, whistle-blower claims, internal investigations and attorney-client privilege issues.
- Acted as Receiver in SEC v. Kenneth Ira Starr, Starr Investment Advisors, LLC, and Starr & Co, LLC, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 10 Civ. 4270 (SHS), a fraud case involving numerous claimants and at least $59 million in damages. June 2010-January 2012.
- Acted as Monitor in SEC v. Kenneth Ira Starr, Starr Investment Advisors, LLC, and Starr & Co, LLC, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 10 Civ. 4270 (SHS) from June 1 to June 7, 2010.
- Acted as Trustee in bankruptcy in connection with a real estate Ponzi scheme where the estate consisted of close to $300 million and recovery to the creditors was approximately 40%. (In re Schick, Chapter 11, Case Nos. 96 B 42902 (SMB), 96 B 43969 (SMB) 96 B 46282 (SMB) (Jointly Administered) Chapter 11, Case No. 96 B 45033 (SMB), - United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York). Issues included those relating to fiduciary liability, secured transactions, money laundering, tracing of funds to Europe and the Middle East.
- Represented the technology transfer arm of an Israeli University in an action which arose out of a Research and License Agreement dispute. Motion to dismiss granted on forum non conveniens grounds. Gordon v. Ramot-At-Tel-Aviv University, 13 Civ. 5105 (AT), 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 49376 (SDNY, April 8, 2014). Motion for reconsideration denied, 13 Civ. 5105 (AT), 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 84238 (SDNY June 5, 2014)
- Representation of companies including those in the telecom and other industries in connection with securities fraud class actions; (In re Cellular Technical Services Securities Litigation, Master File No. C97-1155WD – United States District Court for the Western District of Washington; In re Nice Systems, Ltd. Securities Litigation, Master File No. 2:01-CV-737 (JAG) – United States District Court for the District of New Jersey; In re TTI Securities Litigation, Master File No. 2:04-CV-04305 (PGS-ES)—United States District Court for the District of New Jersey); Sarit Tamar v. MIND CTI, Ltd. et al., 09 Civ. 7132 (RMB), 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 7689 (SDNY, July 2, 2010).
- Representation of Board in connection with special investigation under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of actions relating to the sale of medical devices in Nigeria.
- Representation of Fortune 50 Company in connection with a special investigation of employee allegations in connection with due diligence relating to the acquisition of a privately held company.
- Representation of consulting subsidiary of Fortune 50 insurance broker in connection with claim by union that it had rendered negligent advice which had resulted in under funding of the health and welfare plan.
- Representation of reseller of telephone services in connection with breach of contract and fraud action against AT&T Corp. (Telecom International America, Ltd. v. AT&T Corp., Civil Action No. 96 Civ. 1366(AKH) – United States District Court for the Southern District of New York).
- Representation of real estate developer in connection with partnership disputes and charges of defalcation by contractor/partner.
- Representation of Fortune 50 insurance broker in connection with employee embezzlement and bank negligence issues.
- Representation of defense industry subcontractor in connection with a qui tam action relating to overcharge of transducers (United States ex rel. Hyatt v. Northrup Corp., Civil Action No. CV-93-02529-KN – United States District Court for the Central District of California).
- Representation of foreign diamond dealer in connection with partnership dispute and charges of IP infringement in a three-week arbitration proceeding.
- Representation in arbitration proceedings of seller against a major utility relating to wrongful termination of a contract under a material adverse change clause.
- Representation of publicly held telecom company in arbitration by executive claiming inter alia fraudulent inducement to sell his shares.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Cy-Pher Executive Roundtable - Cybersecurity Challenges and Response for Law Firms, Mimesis Law, New York, May 5, 2016.
- Second Annual Pharma Law Conference - co-sponsored by NYSBA International Section, KPMG, NYC MedTech, Troutman Sanders and Fordham University Compliance and Ethics Society, March 3, 2016.
- Cybersecurity Symposium & Global Corporate Compliance Workshop CLE – co-sponsored by NYSBA International Section Corporate Compliance Committee and Troutman Sanders, July 21-22, 2015.
- Hot Topics in Pharma Securities Litigation – Annual Pharma Law Conference, co-sponsored by NYSBA International Section, KPMG, Troutman Sanders and Fordham University School of Law, New York, February 5, 2015.
- FCPA and Whistleblowers: Tales from the Trenches -- NYSBA International Section Compliance Program, New York, November 24, 2014.
- The Russian/Ukraine Sanctions and Creating an Effective Compliance Program: What You Need to Know - NYSBA International Section Compliance Program, New York, September 18, 2014.
- Attorney Client Privilege/Internal Investigations/Crisis Management – Joint NYSBA International Section and the Tel Aviv District of the Israel Bar Association, 2014 Regional Meeting, US/Israel Connections, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 26, 2014.
- There’s a New Sheriff in Town: Receivers, Trustees, Monitors and Examiners – The Ins and Outs of Appointments, Powers and Appropriateness, Compliance, Risk Regulation & Investigation Conference, New York Chapter of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, October 24-25, 2013.
- Hot Topics for Global Corporate Counsel – 13th Annual Conference of the Israel Bar Association & 4th Joint Conference with the American Bar Association Section of International Law, Eilat, Israel, May 26-29, 2013.
- Understanding the CFPB and State Attorneys General Regulatory Issues Relating to Debt Collection, Credit and Collection News Webinar, March 7, 2013.
- The Current Climate in Securities Litigation, US-China Capital Forum, New York University School of Law, April 17, 2012.
- The Trend in Securities Litigation in the United States, Brean Murray Growth Conference, Beijing, China, June 2011.
- Whistleblower Provisions of Dodd-Frank Act, NYC Bar Association, May 2011.
- Effects of Globalization on the Legal Profession: Recent Developments in the U.S. in Securities Class Action Pleading Requirements - International Bar Association and the Israel Bar, Eilat, Israel, June, 2009.
- Co-author, “Privacy Law and Cybersecurity: What You Need to Know about Modern Threats to Electronically-stored Data,” TerraLex Connections, January 2016.
- Co-Author, "Foreign Whistleblowers Have Little Protection Against Retaliation by Employers," TerraLex Connections, December 2014.
- Co-Author, “Privilege Issues for Multijurisdictional In-house Counsel,” Corporate Counsel Magazine, September 23, 2014.
- "Private Equity Funds - Beware of Potential Exposure to ERISA Pension Liabilities of Your Portfolio Companies," by Jeffery R. Banish, Aurora Cassirer, Jonathan A. Kenter and John Owen Gwathmey, TerraLex, October 2013.
- "The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Raises the Stakes," by Aurora Cassirer and Eric Unis, Financial Fraud Law Report, June 2013.
- "A Guide To Replacing Lost Stock Book or Certificate," by Aurora Cassirer, Edward Brandwein and Ming Ran Qu, Law 360, Augusts 8, 2012.
- "Maximizing the Recovery of assets from the Trustee's Perspective," by Aurora Cassirer and Lee W. Stremba, Financial Fraud Law Report, July/August 2009.
- "Truth and Consequences? How to Avoid Employee Claims of Defamation," by Aurora Cassirer Scott Feldman, and Devin M. Ehrlich, ACC Docket, September 2006, Volume 24, No. 8.
- "Litigating as a Class for Overtime Pay," by Aurora Cassirer and Scott Feldman, New York Law Journal, February 10, 2003.
Firm Management Responsibilities
- Member, Executive Committee (2005-2015)
- Member, Compensation Committee (2005-2015)
- Managing Partner of the New York Office of Troutman Sanders LLP (2005-2012)
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Departmental Disciplinary Committee for the First Judicial Department (Supreme Court Appellate Division) (2008-2013)
- New York State Bar Association’s International Section Co-Chair, International Corporate Compliance Committee (2014)
- Member, Commission on Fiduciary Appointments (Birnbaum Commission) (2004-2005)
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
Co-Chair, Real Estate and Probate Litigation (2000—2002)
Chair, Real Estate, Property and Probate Litigation (1999-2000)
Co-Chair, Professional Liability Litigation Committee (1996-1999)
Member, State Justice Initiatives Task Force (1995-1996)
Co-Director, Division V—Substantive Areas of Litigation (1994-1996)
Chair, Commercial and Business Litigation Committee (1991—1994)
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Women’s Bar Association
- Member, NYWBA Judiciary Committee
Rankings and Recognition
- Listed in Law & Politics’ New York Super Lawyers – Metro Edition (2008-2016) for excellence in Business Litigation
- AV Rated, Martindale Hubbell
- 2008 Honoree of the United Way of New York City's Women United in Philanthropy
- Member, Board of Directors of Kids In Need of Defense, KIND
- Member, Board of Governors of Jerusalem College of Technology (Machon Lev)
- Member, Board of Directors, American Friends of Jerusalem College of Technology
- Member, Board of Directors, NY Lawyers for the Public Interest (2009-2011)
- Chair, Advisory Board of KIND (Kids in Need of Defense)
- New York University,
- Brooklyn College of the City University of New York,
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States