Robert Schaffer is an intellectual property partner at Troutman Sanders. Bob applies more than 30 years of experience to IP counseling and litigation. His work includes patent procurement, strategic planning and transactional advice, due diligence investigations, district court patent cases, and Federal Circuit appeals. He regularly handles complex and high-profile domestic and international patent portfolios, intellectual property agreements and licensing, IP evaluations for collaborations, mergers, and acquisitions. In disputed court cases Bob’s work includes representing and counseling client in ANDA litigations, complex patent infringement cases and appeals, and multidistrict and international cases. In disputed Patent Office matters his work includes representing and counseling clients in interferences, reexaminations, reissues, post-grant proceedings, and in European Oppositions. Bob’s clients include biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, computer software companies, new media firms, major U.S. and foreign corporations, start-ups and high-technology ventures.
Bob’s work in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals includes small molecule and biologic drugs and drug formulations, particularly pain medications, drugs and treatments for neurological, autoimmune and cardiac disorders, anti-inflammatory drugs, antivirals, antibiotics, cancer treatments, and vaccines and therapies for HIV, malaria, and diabetes. He has worked extensively in directed evolution of genes and proteins, combinatorial chemistry, rational drug design, nano-technology, microfluidic devices, genomics and proteomics, genetically engineered antigens and antibodies, bioequivalence and biosimilarity of drug products, therapeutic and industrial enzymes, personalized medicine, and bioinformatics.
Bob’s work for software clients includes digital rights management, streaming and data compression technologies, content delivery, distributed networking, caching and memory management, security and encryption, network diagnostics, software certificates, digital watermarking, anti-virus software, document management software and graphical user interfaces.
- Successfully prosecuted extensive family of key patents for innovator of billion-dollar pharmaceutical products.
- Strategic planning and litigation for drug companies in ANDA litigation.
- CAFC appeals involving human growth hormone and industrial enzymes.
- Successfully defended ex parte reexamination of client’s key patents covering branded COPD therapy.
- Successfully prosecuted inter partes reexamination of competitor’s patent covering certain engineered hormone compounds.
- Successful district court litigations concerning recombinant industrial enzymes; food-grade emulsifiers; lentiviral vectors; genetically engineered antibodies; and phage display technology.
- Strategic planning and counseling for drug discovery company based on its high-throughput genetic engineering and bioinformatics technology.
- Due diligence for major drug company in its evaluation of a potential target concentrating on therapies for infectious diseases caused by bacteria and fungi.
- Due diligence for acquisition of complex patent portfolio covering genetically engineered enzymes in the biofuels area.
- Prosecution of pioneering content delivery patents for industry leader in internet streaming solutions.
- Counseling and prosecution for early-stage company developing media-hub and content server solutions.
- Counseling major financial institution in connection with patents concerning electronic checks and on-line banking transactions.
- Drafting and negotiation of software development agreement for major financial institution.
- Counseling and patenting strategies for document management software.
- Editor, Troutman Sanders Federal Circuit Review – A weekly report on Federal Circuit cases.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Leadership Council, Roundabout Theatre Company
- Member, Council for the Arts at MIT
- Member, Advisory Board for Dancers Responding to AIDS (a program of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS)
- Former President, Complexions Contemporary Ballet